Saturday, October 22, 2005

Going to church!

Some people believe in attending service every Sunday with an organized religon. I do that, sometimes, but I want to share the time I feel the most spiritual and at peace. In my history on this planet, nature is my chapel. An open field in a heavily wooded forest, on top of a rock in the middle of a creek, on the shore of an uninhabited beach, on a mountain overlooking the countryside, and sometimes just listening to meaningful music while driving. These places lead me to clearer thought and self re-evaluation. Being brought up Catholic gave me a bible based history and routine of practicing religion, but it has never been enough to reach into my heart and force change. Granted, I've made a lot of mistakes, but when I get to visit my "church" it opens me up to more truths and honesty than I feel I deserve. Maybe that's "Catholic" guilt, or my mother's voice ringing in my ears. Whatever it is, nature does nurture. Freedom, purity, passion, insight and reflection are tools I need and I don't use them enough. The most perfect religious opportunity I dream of is listening to a sermon in the woods or by the waterside. Simple, clean, and without the "things of man". Songlines are a way for my mind to travel. It gets me out of the corrupt shell of my body and gives me focus. Being Catholic, Protestant, Muslim, Jewish, or whatever are not as important to me, as much as if you believe in God, and direct yourself towards doing good and striving to constantly go forward. When I question why are we here, I always come back to reasoning and I do believe we are here for a reason. If science were the only reason for our existence, then why do we have emotion? Why do we love? Why do we create art, or poetry, or songs, or offer help to others in need. These are the types of thoughts I get from my church. I will end this personal sermon with a prayer: Dear Lord of the Ages, Please guide us to treat each other with love, and passion. Forgive us our sins and make us whole. Guide us to the light of truth, honesty and right. Help us to remove the things that way on us daily and turn them into a driving positive nature that leads us to you. Love to all! Mike

No comments: