Friday, October 14, 2005

Why R U a Parrothead?

It started back in June of 1978. I took this hot chick to see Jimmy Buffett at the Celebrity Theatre. My best friend Dan and I had been listening to Buffett's albums; "Son of a Sailor" and "Changes in Lattitudes" for almost a year and he was coming to town, ticket cost: $13.95. That's 4 hours of work @ Pizza Inn! .... and I needed two tickets! I met this girl @ summer camp and asked if she'd go, and without a hitch she said yeah. Dan and I planned for about a month. At that time the songs we liked were "The Last Line" + "Coast of Marseilles". We always had a penchant for songs that weren't on regular radio. He had his hot date and we planned dinner and after we'd go to Farrell's. I had never been to a concert before, so that may have something to do with it, but Celebrity was it, man it had a rotating stage, tropical plants and even a ship's bell on the stage. The smells, the clothes people were wearing were different than on most dates. Most guys had tropical shirts and women dressed in whatever. I didn't know about concert shirts so I was crappin' that I didn't have enough to get one or any of Buffett's other albums. I also didn't know that there would be lead in entertainment. Danny O'Keefe was great! He sang "Goodtime Charlie's got the Blues", "Magdalena" and "Angel spread your wings"! Some of my all-time favorites. I still listen to them today off of the "Breezy Stories" album, circa 1978. My date had on one of those long peasant dresses, cool, but outdated in '78. She was hot so it didn't matter! I had never smelled some of the smells before, from people tokin' to women's perfumes that lifted my feet off the ground. Buffett came on to the ship's bell and "Son of a Sailor", my son Brandon's fave, and I was taken away to the Carrribean, a place I never thought of before. Hell, until I moved form Massachusetts, I thought Kentucky was the state directly south of New York. He played all the songs we loved, including his first hit "Come Monday". I still like that song after a billion listens! Jimmy had previously broken his leg for the second time in a year, playing softball. He sat on a stool and had long scraggily hair and a huge Mark Twain style 'stache. The women seemd to love him, so why not me! "Cause I loved them! At an intermission he hobbled out and said he was going to sing Happy Birthday, Well, the girl he was singing to was a back-up singer and she and the other singer came out in their birthday suits and kissed him on his cheek! Man, that sealed the deal! Then, not to be outdone this girl in the audience had to share her credentials, which were very impressive, and they shoved a spotlight on her. Heaven was on Earth at that moment! I thought, Hey, I might get laid! My music taste has never been the same, and that helped me start selecting what I liked in music. Screw MTV videos, we had the real thing(s)! Since then I have kept Jimmy from the poor house! I've seen him 11 times at various venues, been to the Vegas Margaritaville 3x, purchased goods at Margartiaville.com and listen to RadioMargaritaville daily. You can listen to it online @: http://radiomargaritaville.com/. The music is quite diverse and the same song isn't played 5 times an hour! Buffett's words and lifestyle are an important part of my life and definitely soothed me through some difficult times! My daughter's name is taken from Jimmy and I know I want to have my last days on this planet, with a rum drink in one hand, a stoggie hanging out the side of my mouth and a fly-rod in the other, in a little skiff, on a salty flat, with the sun lapping off of tiny waves! A Parrothead forever and I just wanted to share the head-onisom with you!

No comments: