Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Welcome my friends to the Runrummer's first blog! I wanted this first topic to be about music, the soundtrack of our lives. With Buffett and "the" lifestyle that he details, the fillers are what I'd like to share with you. Most of my closest friends wonder about the music I have in my collection. Although most built on an "Island Personna", most have not heard the names of others I listen to. I'll submit 2 lists today; my parrothead island getaway artists (non-top 40) and my "other" or "filler" time.
Red Sox

Parrothead list of artists you may want to listen to:
1. Aswad - reggae
2. BahaMen (Pre-letting the dog out) - Nassau
3. Black Uhuru - reggae
4. Bakra Bata' (1st heard them at the Tempe Festival of the Arts) - afro-steel pan
5. Marcia Ball (Nawlin's style)
6. Bellamy Brothers - country-reggae (who'd have thunk it!)
7. Dennis Brown - reggae
8. Ali Campbell (lead singer for UB40) - reggae
9. Paulinho DaCosta - tropical rhythm
10. Gregory Isaacs - reggae
11. Dr. John - Nawlin's sound
12. Jack Johnson - (now popular, ex-surfing champ turned musician) tropical
13. Lord Kitchener - old, original reggae
14. Ottmar Liebert - flamenco guitarist
15. Mark Mulligan - (AZ singer, buffett style)
16. Andy Narrell - steel pan
17. Willie Nelson - (Yes, the country guy, and he put out a Pot album!)
18. Neville family - They play it all!
19. Zachary Richard - Nawlin's
20. Sade - Well she's beautiful and velvety!
21. Santana - In the 80's he had 2 albums I love, Shango and Havana Moon)
22. The Specials - Ska
23. Steel Pulse - Reggae dynamos!
24. Sublime - California reggae
25. Third World - reggae
26. The Toasters - ska
27. Toots + the Maytalls - classic reggae
28. Peter Tosh - Another dead reggae king.
29. Jerry Jeff Walker - does great beach music too!

Fillers
1. Ambrosia - mellow rock
2. Angela Bofill - velvety soul
3. Karla Bonoff - mellow songstress
4. Bobby Caldwell - mellow jazz
5. Bill Champlin - pre-Chicago singer
6. The Clash - British rock-ska rhythms
7. Corneilius Brothers + Sister Rose - 70's soul
8. Dennis DeYoung - Styx vocalist
9. Firefall - mellow rock
10. Julia Fordham - British songstress
11. John Hall - ex-lead for 70's band, Orleans
12. Keb Mo - rhythm + blues
13. The Mills Brothers - mother's influence
14. Danny O'Keefe - mellow rock
15. David Pack - mellow-religious + rock
16. Jerry Riopelle - Southwest rock
17. Lee Ritenour - jazz
18. Spyrogyra - progressive jazz w/tropical undertones
19. Jesse Winchester - mellow rock
20. Michael Johnson - mellow rock, pre-country turn
21. Jesse Colin Young - mellow rock
22. Pure Prairie League - country rock
23. Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - country rock
24. Warren Zevon - excitable boy!

Just a few comments. Phoenix radio sucks, so I invested in Sirius radio and now i am in heaven, when I get tired of RadioMargaritaville, I turn to the reggae channel or many others. Variety makes it so valuable. the last time I enjoyed radio in Phoenix was in the middle to late 70's. KBBC was it! Album rock provides so much more than the redundant, commercialized pukecrap that is on today's free airwaves! Let me surf the satellite!
Please try some of the artists I've mentioned and let me know what you like or don't like! Thanks for stopping by!




No comments: